Sunday, April 19, 2015

An example of FMCA Assist

One benefit of FMCA is the FMCA Assist. Charlie Adcock sent the following:
The following is an email I received from Ron South and with his permission I am forwarding it to everyone. Let's keep Ron and Kathy in our thoughts and prayers.  
 
 
Doug,
 
Sorry for not getting back to you about the rally.  I actually am just getting back from Arizona tomorrow, the 8th.   I wanted to let you know how our first snowbird experience went, and to give a testimony to FMCA.
 
We left Dec. 28th for Arizona and arrived on Jan. 1st.  Due to the time of year I thought it would be smart to take the most southern route but we still experienced bad weather.  Terrible ice and snow storms in Texas and severe winds in New Mexico that ripped off one of my awnings.  Quickly got that fixed after arriving and started to have some fun.
 
We went to Sedona, the Mesa Market, visited friends and family, and just enjoyed the weather.
 
On Jan. 29th Kathy was complaining of severe abdominal pain and I took her to the ER in Sun City.  She was admitted with diverticulitis and after 4 days of not responding to antibiotics, surgery was performed to remove a section of colon.  She came close to dying at this point, and also went into kidney failure requiring her to start dialysis.
 
It was also discovered that she had other kidney and bladder problems and this required multiple surgeries.  The total care she received is far to extensive to list.  She was in the hospital 6 weeks, and 3 weeks in a rehab facility.   This was not exactly what we planned for our vacation.
 
Kathy still cannot walk and continues to need rehab.  I knew I had to get her home and I also knew I couldn't handle her for 4-5 days on the road in the RV.   
On 4/1/15 she was well enough to fly home with assistance and I am driving the RV back.
 
The testimony I mentioned earlier is for the FMCAssist program.  As you may know, I joined the FMCA just shortly before being introduced, and joining, your chapter.  Then I came to your Christmas party.  
In the midst of planning Kathy's return, I remembered this program, and it was actually one of the deciding factors in me joining.
 
I called Seven Corners and had the pleasure of working with Wesley Smith.  Wesley scheduled everything for me, and paid for it.  They provided:
 
The flight out to Arizona for Kathy's son to assist her back;
The airfare for Kathy and her son to return to St. Louis (they gave Kathy a row of 3 seats so she could keep her legs up);
The travel expense for a wheelchair van to pick Kathy up at the rehab facility in Sun City and take her and her son to the Phoenix airport;
The travel expense for a wheelchair van to pick up Kathy and her son from the St. Louis airport and take them to our home in St. Charles.
 
What a deal for $40. a year!     Anyway, it's good to finally get back.  I wonder how our next trip will be?

No comments: